Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Vipassana Meditation Retreat - First Day Account


Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu to Amy and to myself too for we managed to complete a 2-day full retreat for the first time.

Here's the account of my two days retreat at BM Buddhist Meditation Centre.

First day: We arrived at the centre at 5 am and after checking in, we proceeded to the meditation hall for an hour of sitting meditation.

At 6 am we requested for the 8 precepts from Sayadaw U Sumana (who will be conducting this 9-days retreat)

I tried to follow the program used in the retreat at Santarama under Sis. Gavesini that are one-hour sitting and one-hour walking. In BMBMC, the program is more general and the participants are free to practice on their own pace.

However, it was bad, my mind was dull from sleepiness. I must be sleeping as I can see a movie screen like pictures in my closed eyes.

Even, walking meditation did not help to alleviates the dullness. It became worse, I can feel myself sleep-walking.

So after lunch, I grab a 30 minutes time-off - just go lying down and took a rest.
After the 4 pm talk by Sayadaw, I do not feel that sleepy to do walking meditation.

Sitting meditation is not good as I drift to and fro between meditating and sleeping. I was not doing any progress and I was contemplating of going back after the Dhamma talk. But I observed that Amy was doing well so I just preservered.

That night, I had a good night sleep.

No comments: